The Axioms of Star Trek
ax·i·om n 1. A self-evident or universally
recognized truth; a maxim.
2. An established rule, principle, or law.
3. A self-evident principle or one that is accepted as true without
proof as the basis for argument; a postulate.
When writing and
discussing Star Trek the writers of the TrekCreative
forum have referred to the Axions of Star Trek. Those ideas and
principles that Star Trek assumes are true. Several times the attempt
has been made to gather these principles into a single place so that we
might observe and discuss them. This last attempt was the most
Herein are The Axioms of Star Trek. This list
is not considered exclusive. There can be more axioms than we have
discovered and listed. This however, is our list. We, the forum,
believe that you will get better Star Trek if you observe these axioms.
- Star Trek is about the point of decision. Call it the
three "Cs". Conflict, Choice, Consequences. That is Star Trek at the
- Everything has an explanation, but some explanations
have not been found yet.
- Risk is our Business
- IDIC (Infinite Diversity, Infinite Combinations)
- The Common Good isn't.
- People are everywhere.
- Everyone is Human, even if they're not.
- No villain is evil in his own mind.
- In your haste to do right, do not forget to do good.
- Never hate your foe. Hate will blind you to solutions
other than violence.
- Making new friends of old foes is victory without
- If it is wrong for the many, it is wrong for the one.
- Learning new things is good.
- No problem is insoluble.
- Absolute power corrupts absolutely.
- Knowledge dispels prejudice.
- A little suffering is good for the soul.
- Bartenders are very wise.
- Never give up, never surrender! (good captains don't
believe in the no-win scenario.)
- Individuals matter. They may be the only thing that
- Everyone is afraid given the right circumstances. The
trick is to do the right thing anyway.
- It may hurt. It may cost you. It may suck and it may
be inconvenient. When it's the right thing to do, none of that really
- By all means listen to your advisers before making a
decision, but make the damn decision.
- Let no good deed go unrewarded.
- Vengeance is for the Creator.
- Do not mock the madman. Listen to him.
- Change socks daily.
- Command: Take all Engineering estimates, divide by
Engineering: Take all Command requirements, multiply by two.
- Avoid war at most costs.
- Don't give up the ship.
- Play the cards fate gave you. Only fold when you must.
- If both parties approach the table in good faith,
then anything is possible.
- Rats will jump from a sinking ship. Men will try to
- Give me liberty, or give me death.
- I will face my fear and let it wash through me.
- It takes only one voice to start a change
- Being afraid and indecisive means you are still
afraid and someone else decided.
- Take a stand and face your fear. It can only kill you
once. Run from your fear and it will beat you forever.
- A few dents in your ship's hull do not justify the
use of deadly force.
- There is a reason your phaser has a stun setting.
- There is no trying, only doing.
- If you expect a routine patrol you are on the wrong
- When you need a stiff drink visit the ship's doctor.
- At diplomatic receptions stay away from the Romulan
- Be very cautious if something is green and comes in a
bottle unless you are the ship's chief engineer.
- Try to put yourself in the other guy's shoes. It can
be a real eye opener.
- When in doubt don't act rashly.
- Jumping at the other guy with both feet only works if
your name is Kirk. Otherwise it's the best way to get yourself on the
ground real fast.
Comments or questions on this file? Mail
Return to -- Epiphany Trek files
GPL TrekCreative 2004.
All rights reserved, re-print and alter only with notice of the General